There's no ghosts, no demons. It's just an evil fucking room.
Welcome to the Dolphin Hotel! We may not be the Plaza, but we take pride in our elegance and operate at 90% capacity most nights. Unfortunately, we're almost all booked-up at the moment, so we're going to have to put you in room 1408. What do I mean by have to? Oh... well, nothing serious. Enjoy your stay!
This meme is based on the film/short story 1408 by Stephen King. For reasons unknown, 1408 has been the site of multiple suicides and dozens of deaths by "natural causes". It does not kill people directly. What it does is lock them in and put them through so much psychological and physical torture that they kill themselves. Various features of the room change and warp into more gruesome versions of itself. And it takes special pleasure in using any painful memories or regrets in the character's past to break them.
Oh, and it promises it will do its best to kill you within an hour. If it doesn't succeed the first time, well... it can always rewind time and make you live it over again.
1. Normal. It's just a hotel room. What's all the fuss about?
2. Getting heated. Wow, that's... really uncomfortable. Can we get an engineer to fix the thermostat?
3. Freezing. No, seriously, there's ice on the walls. Guys?
4. Darkness. No lights left. What's lurking around in the dark with you?
5. Living. Everything's taken on a distinctly organic look and feel, and the walls are... breathing?
6. Bigger or smaller. The walls are closing in, herding you into the little space you have left. Or maybe it's gone cavernous, so huge you can't see the other side.
7. Normal? You're out! You made it! You're safe! At least... until you notice the little things. Things that don't add up. People you recognize who shouldn't be there. Are you really out, or is this just a mask the room's put on for its own amusement?
8. Familiar. It's starting to take on aspects of pieces of your life - your childhood bedroom, your office. Maybe it's trying to make friends? Or maybe it's just digging through your brain for new stages to set.
9. Forest. Okay, seriously, what's a forest doing in the middle of a hotel? Guys?
10. Rerun. The ghosts or echoes of the room's former occupants will show you how it's done. Maybe you'll even get a peak into their private hells! Won't that be fun?
11. Home. Now you're out for real. You're saved. You made it. Well... sort of. Can you ever be sure? Can you ever go to a hotel again, or stand to have a door shut? Can you ever even be sane again?
1. The two of you were in this together from the start. That's good: the room will have a harder time getting the two of you. Unless... there's something it can exploit...
2. Someone walks in on you (should have put up the Do Not Disturb sign!). Maybe they'll help! Or maybe they'll just be more prey.
3. They're there... but not. They're a specter, a vision conjured up by the room to taunt you. Are they dead? Alive? Do they hate you? Love you? Who cares? They're not real, so they can do whatever they want with you.
4. Somehow, you've managed to contact the outside. Great! You're saved! But good luck explaining everything and getting them to help you without putting them in danger. Especially if the room notices what you're doing and tries to do a little communicating of its own...
5. Oh, thank god, the cavalry's here. Someone's finally arrived to rescue you and pull you out of the room. In however many pieces you still have.
Would you like to make use of our express check-out system?
The room provides the following methods for suicide or mutilation. All of our guests enjoy free will and may choose to take advantage or relive the hour again. No character has to commit suicide, but it is the main goal of the room. Themes of suicide will be present.
1. Hanging. There's rope already knotted and conveniently attached to the ceiling for you. How nice!
2. Defenestration. Since we're conveniently located more than a dozen stories above a busy street, we're pretty sure any dive you take from the windows will be fatal.
3. Exsanguination. There's plenty of sharp objects around for stabbing! Maybe it will just be like going to sleep. Of course, depending on what you stab, it might take a while...
4. Poisoning. Yeah, sure, why not? There's some cleaning chemicals and so on in the bathroom that could probably fuck you up pretty bad.
5. Firearm. Or you could use a gun, conveniently located in the bedside table, next to the blank Gideon's Bible.
6. Drowning. There's a sink and a bathtub. You can probably figure something out.
7. If you can think of it, the room will kindly provide it. See how much it cares about the quality of your stay?