The main conceit of shipping memes, it seems, is that both characters exist in the same universe. But what about something that tosses that out the window for a minute, and lets you play with the implications of "crossover?" Here, you can play with someone from a different canon (or AU or radically different canonpoint) and enjoy shipping that's truly out of this world.
It can be hard enough being ejected from your own home - imagine being plucked away from your home world! This could be because of your own doing (say, you were banished for being too cocky), you were too evil or too ambitious to stay, or even due to an accident. Those temporal shifts can be a little much. Whether by design or by chaos, however, you end up in the same place...or, rather, a different place. Theoretically, this world could be very much like your own, with only a few minor changes, like a purple sky instead of a blue one or lion-demons instead of tiger-vampires. On the other hand, it could be completely different, anywhere from more technologically advanced or less so or even filled to the brim with bizarre creatures. They still use cars? What are those infernal beeping devices? Why does no one have feathers or gills? Needless to say, this could be overwhelming if you are possibly powerless and definitely alone.
But you're not alone. Someone, a native of this world, has ended up tangled into this whole affair with you, whether they want it or not. You can't turn that down. They're your only ally, your only anchor in this brand new world. Maybe, just maybe, they can show you a thing or two to help you back up on your feet. Or, best case scenario, back to your home! When you're out of the frying pan and into the fire, though, nothing is cut and dry. Everything about this world may not be so horrible - it may be fun, even - and this person you've ended up with, oh, they could be worse. In fact, you may be beginning to feel at home with them.
Remember. This is not your real home. You want to go back, don't you?
And what about the other party? Of course, you may be less than thrilled that you now are playing tour guide to what seems like a crazy person. Perhaps this was out of the kindness of your heart or you may be forced to play babysitter, but it all leads to you keeping an eye out on them. They have to be lying about all this! Sure, they may talk strange, unconsciously insult you, and act like the simplest things confuse them; that has to be an act!
...still, act or not, you're starting to see that there's more to them than their goofy ways and there's more to your feelings toward them than you thought.
how to play
- This meme is inspired heavily by the first Thor movie and also a great deal by those romantic comedies where someone from the past goes into the future or vice versa.
- Comment with your character and preferences. Don't leave your comment blank! Mention something about your character's world in the comment for the canon blind (ie, "ancient Greece" or "dystopia with kids killing kids - the Japanese version"). It doesn't have to be long, it can even be a few words! If you have any other ideas, include them.
- Reply to others. Use the RNG - or not. Whichever you prefer.
- arrival → You've just arrived...and someone has seen it. What's your impression? Good? Bad? Get the hell away from them? It may depend on why you're here in the first place.
- not so different → Huh, this could be your own home in the universe, except for a few subtle changes. But those changes stand out.
- different time → The place you've ended up is either much more advanced or much more primitive than you're used to.
- different world → They breathe oxygen? Where is their night vision?
- magical moment → See the gif. Essentially, it's that moment of interest before everything goes absolutely wrong.
- disbelief → So, they says they're an ancient Roman or a magic sky god. Did they hit their head?
- argument → No, no, no. You're not going anywhere until we get you some clothes and some help.
- forced to take them in → You have no other choice but to take this person in. You were either charged with the task or feel guilty.
- offer of shelter → You actually want to take them in out of the kindness of your heart.
- depowered → Were you a powerhouse before? Well, now you're an average joe. That'll teach you.
- misunderstanding → Here, we don't walk around in loin cloths, draw swords, or barely bathe or eat toothpaste. We also don't ride dogs, either.
- friendly fun → Being around here isn't always bad. You get to see new sights, taste new foods, and make new friends. Your milage may vary on the last one.
- introduced traditions → Time for the newcomer to show their host something from the old country, so to speak, or the reverse.
- romantic moment → Dancing or sitting under the stars or your own preference. Go wild and be creative!
- showing you care → They have helped you out a lot since you've arrived. Perhaps you can return the favor by lending a hand or solving a problem?
- the romantic shift → The typical turn of events where the two of you begin to see each other in a different light.
- not my type → Your usual type is more glamorous or more...possessing of gills, but the bond between you two endears them to you.
- jealousy → The newcomer misunderstands the dynamic that's already set in place.
- someone back home → You find yourself growing closer to your new friend, but you're already taken back home.
- confession → You both admit it's more than mere interdimensional alliances.
- smut → You've reached that point in the relationship, or you're about to leave, or you're just curious about the people in this world (remember that scene in Howard the Duck where - nevermind, actually).
- epic fight → Two worlds collide and big bads from the past are coming to threaten your temporary home and new love.
- reformed → You've learned your lesson and turned over a new leaf. As much as you can, anyway. You're more open, less cocky, whatever the case may be.
- sacrifice → Unfortunately, you won't get to go home. You selflessly put yourself in harm's way for your lover.
- going home → Time for a heartfelt goodbye. Will you see each other again or is this it?
- new home → You've learned and gained so much, you've decided to stay in this word.