The Love Like the Movies Meme
The fun thing about movies is that there are so many options, nearly something for everyone. Action, adventure, comedy, tragedy, whatever your taste, you'll probably find something at the cinema. One of the most popular genres, of course, is romance. But don't think it's just chick flicks: a lot of movies have love in them, and those relationships presented can be as varied as the films themselves.
In this meme, you'll get a chance to play out some of the scenarios made popular in films. Some are directly inspired by certain movies, others by common tropes. So grab your popcorn and your chocolate and getting ready for some lovin', Hollywood style!
HOW TO PLAY
- Comment with your character and preferences.
- Others will comment to you, rolling the RNG to determine the prompt.
- Comment to others doing the same.
1. Childhood Friends (Just Friends, etc): You were friends as kids, but you never noticed how much this person means to you until you're grown up. That, or they got really, really hot.
2. Beauty & the Beast (what do you think?): One of you has a charmed life and is beautiful, and the other is ugly- physically or otherwise- or has something else about them (a tragic past, a curse, etc) that society deems you as "broken" for.
3. Beauty & the Geek (The Breakfast Club, every John Hughes movie ever, etc): Maybe this is a high school AU, or maybe it's not. Whatever the case may be, one of you is hot, popular, and athletic, and the other is...not so much. Still, there's something here. Will both of you be willing to look outside your clique and bear the ridicule in order to be together?
4. The Tearjerker (Love Story, a ton of Nicholas Spark movies): The two of you are falling in love, and your relationship is perfect. Or it is until one of you finds out you're dying, whether it be of illness or other causes! Or maybe not dying, just leaving forever. Who knows, whatever the reason, the two of you won't be able to be together forever. What will you do? Break up to ease the pain, or continue on until the last moments?
5. I was Enchanted to Meet You/Fairy Tale Love (Enchanted, etc): Though it may be awkward at first, your relationship is straight out of a fairy tale! Sugary sweet with lots of slow realizations and cute scenarios; singing animals are optional. This kind of love (and the right princess, of course) can even make the most stoic of men melt. How does she know you love her?
6. It Was Just Sex (No Strings Attached, Zack & Miri Make a Porno, etc): You both agreed it was supposed to be just sex. Friends with benefits, that's it. Well, about that. One of you wants to be more than just friends. That won't mess things up, will it?
7. The Hookup Gone Wrong (Knocked Up, etc): You got somebody pregnant, they accidentally imprinted on you, you went through a mating-for-life ritual without noticing it, whatever you crazy kids do these days. Now you're stuck with someone, may as well learn to tolerate them. If you're lucky, tolerance can grow into fondness, and then...
8. As You Wish/The Princess and her Stable Boy (Princess Bride, etc): This person may be beneath you, but whatever the case, you've always taken them for granted. Will you see their love before it's too late...like something bad happening?
10. A Little Species Difference (Twilight, Underworld, etc): Love is love...even if you two don't have the luxury of being the same species. But who cares if you're a vamp and she's a human, or you're a demon and he's an angel? Okay, maybe the rest of your kind or society cares, and that may cause a few problems, but it all works out in the end, right?
11. For Richer or Poorer (Titanic, etc): The poor boy sees the rich girl and falls in love at first sight. Maybe this doesn't describe your relationship exactly, but there differences in your social classes. Will the people around you and their obsession with money drive you apart, or can you show them that blue collar and black tie can be as one?
12. This is Very Unprofessional (The Bodyguard, etc): For some reason, you're supposed to protect this person. For the benefit of this missions, it's better to keep emotions out of it- oops, you've fallen in love with your charge! Or perhaps, even worse, you've fallen in love with someone who should be your enemy or you were supposed to eliminate!
13. The Wedding Crasher (Romcoms, romcoms): The person you love is with someone else- maybe even about to take the plunge into marriage. But they should totally be with you, and you're about to show the world! Er, even if that means crashing their special day.
14. The Enemies turned Lovers (Romeo + Juliet, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, etc): Perhaps the oldest story in the book, people from warring factions overcoming hate to give into their love for each other. Need I say more?
15. I Want You to Want Me (10 Things I Hate About You, etc): Ahh, hate growing to love. A staple of teen movies and romantic comedies for many years. That's because it works! There's just something about the chemistry you feel with someone you can't stand changing into a desire to actually be close to this person. After all, they say there's a thin line between love and hate.
16. The Comedic Misunderstanding (The Proposal, every romcom ever, etc): Oh no! You just heard the guy you love call you ugly to his friend! You saw the girl of your dreams with another man! Surely this means you're doomed and hated and you'll be forever alone! Oooor maybe it was just a misunderstanding- NOPE. DOOMED AND HATED AND FOREVER ALONE.
17. This Isn't A Love Story (500 Days of Summer, etc): Not all love ends with happily ever after. Sometimes there are just plain endings- very, very messy ones with lots of hate. So whoo keeps the dog, the apartment, and the IKEA furniture, you mad hipsters exes? Well, deciding that's part of the fun!
18. Find Something Better (Yet another romance cliche): You've broken up with somebody and totally sworn off of relationships for good! Nope, nobody is going to make you love agai- darn it! That free spirit made you love again! Shoot. Well, you don't have to let the- damn it, you let them into your heart, didn't you?
19. It All Worked Out in the End (almost every movie): You've been through lots of disasters and trials, maybe even years worth of separation, so now you've earned your life as a happy couple. Enjoy it!
20. Love at First Sight (many a movie): The obligatory love at first sight, which seems to dominate a lot of movies. You see this person and you know they're the one! Now you just have to win them over.
21. Mistaken Identities (I'm pretty sure a Mary Kate and Ashley movie was like this): You've fallen in love with someone, but while they love you, it's not the real you they love. They think you're someone else because of a misunderstanding, your own designs, or something along those lines. Can you risk telling them the truth and get them to love you for you, or will you live a lie?
22. Good Girl/Bad Boy (Grease, etc): I got chiiiills, they're multiplyin'! One of you is a goody-goody (at least in some capacity), while the other is from the wrong side of the tracks (what tracks?). It's dangerous, but there's something thrilling about danger. Still, are you sure this isn't just summer lovin'? If you really care for this person, maybe you can make it work.23. WILDCARD