the fish out of water shipping meme
The main conceit of shipping memes, it seems, is that both characters exist in the same universe. But what about something that tosses that out the window for a minute, and lets you play with the implications of "crossover?" Here, you can play with someone from a different canon (or AU or radically different canonpoint) and enjoy shipping that's truly out of this world.
It can be hard enough being ejected from your own home - imagine being plucked away from your home world! This could be because of your own doing (say, you were banished for being too cocky), you were too evil or too ambitious to stay, or even due to an accident. Those temporal shifts can be a little much. Whether by design or by chaos, however, you end up in the same place...or, rather, a different place. Theoretically, this world could be very much like your own, with only a few minor changes, like a purple sky instead of a blue one or lion-demons instead of tiger-vampires. On the other hand, it could be completely different, anywhere from more technologically advanced or less so or even filled to the brim with bizarre creatures. They still use cars? What are those infernal beeping devices? Why does no one have feathers or gills? Needless to say, this could be overwhelming if you are possibly powerless and definitely alone.
But you're not alone. Someone, a native of this world, has ended up tangled into this whole affair with you, whether they want it or not. You can't turn that down. They're your only ally, your only anchor in this brand new world. Maybe, just maybe, they can show you a thing or two to help you back up on your feet. Or, best case scenario, back to your home! When you're out of the frying pan and into the fire, though, nothing is cut and dry. Everything about this world may not be so horrible - it may be fun, even - and this person you've ended up with, oh, they could be worse. In fact, you may be beginning to feel at home with them.
Remember. This is not your real home. You want to go back, don't you?
And what about the other party? Of course, you may be less than thrilled that you now are playing tour guide to what seems like a crazy person. Perhaps this was out of the kindness of your heart or you may be forced to play babysitter, but it all leads to you keeping an eye out on them. They have to be lying about all this! Sure, they may talk strange, unconsciously insult you, and act like the simplest things confuse them; that has to be an act!
...still, act or not, you're starting to see that there's more to them than their goofy ways and there's more to your feelings toward them than you thought.
how to play
Not everyone has the luxury of letting their romance be public. So you've had to keep everything subdued, secret, maybe even behind closed door. Of course, you may just enjoy the cloak and dagger of it all that comes with sneaking around with each other.
HOW to PLAY
There's no one night stands here. The two of you have been involved in a relationship - what manner and definition, of course, is subjective - for a substantial (again, subjective and dependent on you) amount of time. But for whatever reasons, purposeful or not, you haven't had sex. Regardless of how that makes you feel, it changes tonight. You're taking that HUGE step and are going to sleep together. Finally, you may say. Or are you nervous, because maybe you haven't done this before and this could change everything? Are you suitably aroused? Suitably scared-oused? Ready to show them how much you love them?
Who knows, you may just be ready so sexually frustrated that you're ready to screw their brains out and break this vow of chastity that's been hanging around your little twosome. Anyway, ready or not, here you come.
Who in the world could hate kindness? Sweetness? Conscientiousness? All of us, on some level, like to be pampered and taken care of, from the most churlish to the most pleasant. Yes, even those grouchy grumps, or, of course, the cool-headed psychos -
Okay, maybe not all of us to the same degree.
Regardless of your disposition, somehow, you've gained a doting significant other. It seems like they find their greatest pleasure in taking care of and looking out for you. This may manifest in them simply trying to keep you entertained, happy, and healthy; it could also come in the form of them being a domestic doter, taking care of all your needs. Be it the former or the latter, there's an inherent adorableness that comes with their efforts and generosity, and in return, you have an urge to protect and care for them. They're just too precious for this world! Only, you know, there's a good chance you can a. ignore this, because you're emotionally stunted and full of wo/manpain, or b. repress it because you're a badass and would never.
Unless you've completely disregarded all that because they're just too much and you want to hold them forever.
So, how do you feel about all this? Do you wish they'd stop with this foolishness (not really)? Are you pushing them away? Are you embarrassed? Maybe you're absolutely taken with them! Just realize that you have it incredibly good.
HOW TO PLAY
• Comment with your character, preferences, their role, any info, etc.
• Reply to others.
• Usual: This is how they always are. "Caring" is in their nature.
• Unexpected: They don't seem like the type...but with you, they are.
• Terrible at It: They're trying hard, yet it seems like they fail at trying to take care of you. Depending on who you are, though, that may just make them more endearing.
• Because You Like It: They heard you like those who are sweet and kind, so they're trying to change their ways.
• Not Together: Technically, you're not together romantically, but everyone knows the truth.
• The Doted Upon: What it says on the tin!
• Feeding: Whether they cook for you or have moments where they feed you, literally, they take your nutrition seriously.
• Massage: Let them work out all those kinks.
• Clean You Up: Here, they've drawn a warm bath for you.
• Dress Your Wounds: If you're the kind of person who gets in battles, they'll see that you're all patched up.
• Singing: Or telling stories, or otherwise calming you down.
• Lap Rest: Sometimes, their lap is the best pillow.
• A Shoulder to Cry On: When you have troubles, they're always there to listen.
• The Calming Force: If you have moments of terror from past trauma, they're always willing to put themselves on the line to bring you back to reality, even if it puts them in danger.
• Soft Kisses: Their kisses feel so good, and they're never demanding.
• Head Pat: Sometimes, a simple gesture can mean the most.
• Grooming: They'll fix your hair - or at least play with it - and help you shave.
• Gifts: Homemade or expensive, they like to shower you in presents.
• Lovemaking: The obligatory smut option, where they're a generous lover.
• Protector: They look out for you, and while they don't seem that way, if you're threatened, they get like a bear protecting her cubs.
• Gentle Giant: They make you feel so small and delicate.
• Reverse: For once, you want to dote on and take care of them.
• Unwilling: It's a wonder they still try to care for you, because you're cruel to them and rebuff them at every turn, even if you really don't mean it.
• It's Okay to Cry: They never get upset because they don't want to put that on you. You want to let them know they can let it all out.
They may be a rambler, a gambler, always on the run, a wanted criminal, someone with a higher calling, or just not the type to spend time with you (which may be fine by you), yet somehow, they'll always find their way back to your door. And they'll, again and again, find themselves wanting you, for support, for healing, for feeling alive, for venting frustration and anger, for anything and everything at all.
You'll welcome them with open arms...and an open heart, because you want them close, too.
You don't have to give this person anything to prove you care. But maybe you want to; it's an easy way of letting them know your affection and telling them you're open to a relationship. If you're already with your love interest, a gift might just remind them of your feelings. Most would give flowers or chocolate or offer up a night of quality time or chores done. Those are the usual.
You're not usual yourself. Neither is the person you're with...or want to be with. You'll have to go for the unusual.
So whether it's building your crush a robot to ask them out, making your friend-or-possibly-more the best fifteen course meal they've ever had, or teaching your significant other to be the strongest ninja warrior, go big or go home. Or go where it's natural, given how unconventional you can be.
a sci-fi au meme
( The Setting )
( The Premise )
( The Problem )
tl;dr sparknotes this because we want to get to the meme: Sentinels and guides had a baby with YA dystopian lit. After a near extinction level cataclysm, people began to develop abilities that fall into two categories: Powered (sentinel/warrior) and Source (guide/healer). Their true powers are only revealed when they find their one genetically compatible match. A shadow government kidnaps these individuals, puts them into lifebonds, trains them for combat, then sends them out in teams to do all the dirty work. Codependency, mind-bonding, unhealthy love, and bloody murder probably ensue.
WHAT IF THEY HAD LIVED? MEME
We're not going to have a ton of prompts today, folks. However, we are going to have this. Say your character or someone close to your character dies in canon. Perhaps they die young, perhaps they're a big damn hero, perhaps they're a slithery villain that SHOULD be dead. What would happen if they didn't? How would the world change? This is your place to explore that kind of AU! Did the death situation never happen? Did they perhaps escape by the skin of their teeth? Did something (or someone) save them? How does the bright and shining (or dark and ominous) future pan out for them?