The Despair Event Horizon is the point at which all hope is lost. Something has happened to push your character past the brink of anguish- a level of despair from which there can be no true recovery. A line has been crossed, and there can be no crossing back. Your hopes, your dreams, and possibly your very life: they all end here.
1. Post with your character. Include which prompts you are or aren't comfortable doing.
2. Reply to others. Pick a prompt from the list.
3. Roleplay your character's descent into despair, rage, madness, or what-have-you. Remember, this is not merely being sad or depressed; the Despair Event Horizon means you've lost your reason to live.
1. DEFEAT. Your enemy has won. Maybe the aliens have destroyed Earth, or maybe you were just defeated by a rival. The villains have come out on top- or the heroes, if you happen to be a villain. Your friends are all dead, and no one is coming to help you. It's all over now.
2. FAILURE. Your goal, your mission, your life's dream- whatever it was you sought to accomplish, you've failed, and you have no one but yourself to blame. Everyone was counting on you- and you let them all down. GAME OVER.
3. BETRAYAL. You were counting on them, and they let you down. Your trusted friends have stabbed you in the back. Your significant other's been cheating on you- with your worst enemy. Your government has decided you know too much, and has ordered you dead. You only have one question: how could you?
4. HUMILIATION. You've been dragged through the streets, your name turned to mud, and had everyone you know laugh in your face. There'll be no living this one down. (In retrospect, this is really what you get for breaking the first rule of sexting.)
5. LOSS. Friend, lover, or mentor: whoever it is, they're either dead or dying, and you can't live without them. Can you really spend the rest of your life without this person by your side?
6. TORTURE. You've endured enough agony to drive anyone else insane- physical, mental, or both -but now you've finally reached your breaking point. Maybe it was someone else who did this to you, or maybe you did it to yourself; whatever the case, you can't take it anymore. It's time for either you to die... or your tormentors.
7. COMPULSION. You haven't actually hit the DEH- but something is making you think you have. Maybe it's a spell, or a mind-control device, or an illusion: whatever the case, something out there is forcing you to believe that life is no longer worth living. Can you break its hold, or will you succumb to despair?
8. BROKEN IDEALS. Something has happened to shatter your beliefs about the world. Maybe you saw something horrible, or your own ideals failed you- maybe a lie you've believed your entire life has just been proven wrong. Whatever the case, your faith has been broken, and you may not be able to pick up the pieces again.
9. POLITICS. Rick Santorum has been elected President. All hope is lost.